Burial Rites, an award-winning book by Hannah Kent will soon be on the big screen, where the Oscar winning actor Jennifer Lawrence will be the star of the show. Burial Rites is based on the story of Agnes Magnúsdóttir and her final days before being the last woman executed in Iceland. Experience the moving story and true sites behind the novel as well as raw Icelandic nature in this unique tour with an experienced local guide that knows the real story.
- Experience the real sites behind Hannah Kent’s award-winning book Burial Rites.
- Guided tour around Hvammstangi
- Guided tour of the highlights of Vatnsnes peninsula; Illugastaðir, Tjörn, Katadalur, Hvítserkur, Vatnsendi, Stóra-Borg, Kornsá and Þrístapar
- Guided tour around Reykir Regional Museum to see Agnes’ brooches
- Guided tour from an experienced local
- Pick-up and drop-off at a predetermined location in Reykjavik/Akureyri
- Light refreshments
- Traditional Icelandic meat soup followed by a seasonal delicacy
- Guided tour around Reykir Regional Museum
The death of Natan Ketilsson is perhaps the most infamous criminal case in Icelandic history where he, and his guest Pétur Jónsson, were brutally murdered at his farm Illugastaðir in March 1828. Natan’s maidservant Agnes Magnúsdóttir and her accomplice Friðrik Sigurðsson were found guilty of the crime and beheaded on January 12th 1830 in Þrístapar.
It is genuinely a moving experience getting to know the story behind the woman, as well as the tragedy that led to the last execution in Iceland, and being able to visit the true sites where the events took place.
Provider 1: Guðmundur Haukur Sigurðsson
Provider 2: Hótel Hvítserkur
Provider 3: Reykir Regional Museum
Tour starts at 8:00 AM
Duration: 11-12 hours
Needs to be booked at least two days in advance
Maximum of 14 participants.
Price: 190.000 ISK for 1 up to 5 persons. 38.000 ISK per add on person, 19.000 ISK for age 6 to 14 and free for under 5
Contact: email@example.com & +354 451 2345